Friday, June 18, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different...

"It's not pining, it's passed on. This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker.This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot."

"Well, I'd better replace it, then... Sorry guv, we're right out of parrots... I got a slug."
"Does it talk?"
"Not really, no."
"Well, it's scarcely a replacement, then is it?"


* BOOK NEWS *

Roland posted a great and insightful writing tip at Writing in the Crosshairs

Christine asks the question at Make Mine Mystery - Why would anyone want to be a writer? (LOL - certainly not for the money!)

Two great online conferences!

WriteOnCon for kidlit authors - registration opens July 1. This is the conference’s first year and the ladies are working hard to put it together!

The Muse Online Writers Conference on October 11-17. Affiliated with the award-winning sites and Writer's Digest Top 101 Writing Sites: The MuseItUp Club & Apollo's Lyre. Deadline to register is August 15! This conference has received the award for best online writer’s conference from Preditors & Editors for the past few years and Lea Schizas works SO hard to pull it together.

And Tara at Feel of Something New gave me the Journey Award! Thank you, Tara!


* FATHER’S DAY TRIBUTE *

In honor of Father’s Day. Alissa at Slightly More Than Dirt suggested we write a post about our fathers.

My father was a gentle and creative spirit. My fondest memories come from the hours I would spend with him in his workshop. He was a carpenter by trade (although he worked for the state doing blueprints) and he was always building something. We didn’t have a lot of money, so he built quite a few of my toys, including four different doll houses. He was a rock hound, and I loved to polish his collection while he worked. He was also an avid photographer and shot everything without the use of a light meter. It is from my father that I developed a passion for photography and pursued my dream of professional photographer. He died when I was eleven, but if he could see me now as a photographer, author, speaker, and married to a wonderful man who shares many of his qualities, I know my father would be proud!

* CAPTION WINNER *

You guys make this so tough! This week it is a tie-

"Made in China. Some parts may be missing." From Helen Ginger
"All I want for Christmas is my two front ears, my two front ears, my two front ears." from Stephen Tremp


* VIDEO OF THE DAY *

It’s been a while since I posted Steve’s Bad Day and many of my newer followers have never seen this video. It’s my husband’s third animation and he spent eight months creating this eight minute mini movie. It’s very funny and deserves so many more views than it’s received. So please enjoy Steve’s Bad Day!

26 comments:

Will Burke said...

I rarely watch video's over 3 mins, since I have so many Blog subscriptions, but I'm glad I watched that one! Thanks for re-posting it for us newbies!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I really enjoyed that as I never seen it first time around,
Thanks for the action replay.

Yvonne.

Hannah said...

Awesome! I've never seen that before but I only check out youtube when I'm looking for a song or someone says, "hey you should check youtube for that." le sigh.

Have a great weekend!

Happy Friday!

Jennifer Taylor said...

A wonderful tribute!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I love that video! Your husband's work is amazing.

What a moving tribute to your dad!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome video! I'm impressed.

And a slug that doesn't talk is rather useless.

Mason Canyon said...

Great tribute and thanks for the links to check out. Neat video.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Will, thanks so much for watching it then! He worked SO hard on it!!!

Thanks everyone for checking out Steve's Bad Day.

Karen, I am indeed!

Lydia Kang said...

A grab bag of too many fun things to look at. Sweet post! The first thing about the parrot was totally cracking me up.

Arlee Bird said...

That video is absurdly good! Can we get a feature film yet? This is definitely as good--or better then-- as a lot of other stuff I've seen. Impressive!

Lee
Tossing It Out

Helen Ginger said...

I love that video! I also love your blog. It's always fun and informative.

I tied for caption of the week! Woo-hoo.

B. Miller said...

Wow I really enjoyed that video! Thanks for posting this!

And thanks for sending DL over to my blog today! I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend!

The Old Silly said...

I absolutely LOVE that video. I saw it somewhere a cupla years ago and got as big a kick out of it again just now!

Anonymous said...

Steve's Bad Day will never grow old. I absolutely think it's hilarious! Makes me laugh every time!

Also, thanks for Roland's writing tip link. Off to check it out.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Lydia, that is my husband's favorite Monty Python skit!

Don't know about a feature film, Lee, but he is working on another short.

Helen, yours was almost too true!

B. Miller, glad to! Couldn't believe he was still missing someone from SC.

J. Kaye and Marvin, I will pass on your appreciation!

~Sia McKye~ said...

I LOVE the captions, lolol! Your winners are from two different poles of humor.

What a sweet post about your dad! Mine was a builder of many things too. I think we all learn how to wield a hammer and follow our imagination. I'm sure he'd be proud of you, Diane. You're not my kid and I'm proud of what you've accomplishe. Just sayin'

Now I have to go check out all your links.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I actually won something. And I remember when you posted this a while back. I'm going to post it on my FB and Twitter pages.

Stephen Tremp

Unknown said...

Lots of great news and links. Thank you.

But, what you have against mute slugs?

CD

Anonymous said...

Cool video! I'll have to share it with my husband and son. I think they will both enjoy it.

This will be my second year attending The Muse Online Writers Conference. Last years conference was AWESOME!

Susan Fields said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Fields said...

Oops - let's try that again.

I absolutely love your tribute to your father. He sounds like he was a wonderful man. Hooray for fathers!

Alissa Grosso said...

What a sweet story about your father. He sounds like a wonderful man! Thanks for taking part in my group blog.

I have to come back and watch the movie when my computer is behaving.

Donna McDine said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad. Wonderful photo, which you must cherish. I'm sure your dad smiles down on you each and every day!

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Lea and I always love it when people let writers know about our free writers conference! Do know, though, that the registration date is coming Aug 15. There is a five dollar charge for late registration. So, if you pass the word, please do it now! (-: The registration alone is a huge job for Lea, so do her a favor and commit now! (-:

Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Co-sponsor of the Muse Online Writers Conference

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sia thank you so much - that is so sweet of you to say!

LOL! Mute slugs don't sing, Clarissa.

Susanne, isn't the Muse Conference awesome?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments - my dad was an awesome man.

Carolyn, when it's closer, I'll post that.

Talli Roland said...

Great video - gotta love Monty!

Thanks for all the links and the news. Hope you're having a great weekend.