Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Photo Tuesday - Reviews From The Bookshelf

Twelve Days of Terror by Richard G. Fernicola, M.D.

Today's Photo Tuesday involves the solid oak bookcase that resides in our living room. It's filled with favorite hardbacks, some movie books, favorite paperbacks, my books (of course!), and some Laserdiscs. (LOL - remember those?!)

My recent reading has consisted of marketing and self-help books, so thought I would grab one off the shelf for you today!



Twelve Days of Terror by Richard G. Fernicola, M.D.
Hardback - April 2001, ISBN-13: 9781585742974
Paperback - April 2002, ISBN-13: 9781585745753
Publisher: Globe Pequot Press
400 pages

I am an animal lover and fascinated with sharks. I never miss Shark Week on Discovery! When this book was released in 2001, I simply had to pick it up. I'd heard about the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks for years and wanted to know more about this tale. And I was not disappointed!

400 pages of documentary might sound boring, but this was a fascinating read. The author chronicles each day and every attack in detail in a narrative form that reads more like a novel. He is precise with dates, names, & quotes, and presents the story from every possible angle. There are photos and drawings scattered throughout the book and a large portion is compiled in the middle.

Each chapter entices one to read more, gripped with anticipation. The story of how one shark held an entire coastline hostage for twelve days loses nothing in the retelling. The attacks in fresh water are especially intense. (Attacked by a shark while swimming in a river - how scary is that?) The 1916 New Jersey shark attacks were also the inspiration for Peter Benchley's thriller Jaws. Once you read this book, you'll realize that reality is far more frightening than fiction, too!

Was it a rougue shark? A tiger or great white? And why did it attack? Read and decide for yourself...

I give it 9 out of 10. If you love sharks and history, you will love this book!

10 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Though it sounds fascinating, I'm afraid if I read that book, I'd never want to go to the beach again!

The Old Silly said...

9 out of 10 is a pretty strong recommendation. I'd probably like it. I HATED the Jaws movies - such sensationalistic drivel, but this sounds like a well written book.

Marvin D Wilson

Unknown said...

It takes a lot of talent to write a factual book that reads like fiction. To be that captivating - very impressive. Not a fan of sharks, particularly - and I find it amazing to look back on my days spent surfing or swimming in the ocean. But I do love history and I love learning -

Is everyone's TBR mountain of books as big as mine has become?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yup, almost a hundred years ago, this tale inspired Jaws!

Marvin, you would dig it. I'm not big on non-fiction, especially the historical type (no throwing rocks!) but I really enjoyed this book.

TexasRed said...

wow - not sure if I'd ever go back in any water after this!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Oh, I love books like that. I'll pick it up...thanks!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tara McClendon said...

I love the bookcase. It looks like some of mine.

Missy B. said...

Your bookcase is awesome!

I will have to check this book out, as I am fascinated with sharks as well. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Prill Boyle said...

I agree with Tara & Missy. Love your bookcase, not to mention your books.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thanks - we'd wanted a really nice bookcase for years and fell in love with this one. It is REALLY heavy, too!