Thursday, February 19, 2009

Taking Time Off

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..."

Or at least a little crazy!

Time off is something that's difficult when one is full tilt into promotions. However, if we don't take time off, our bodies may force us to do so regardless.

I quite willingly took off Monday - it was my birthday and I wanted a day out of the house and away from the computer. (BTW - it was the Raleigh-Durham area where we romped.) And yes, I had a scary amount of catching up to do Tuesday, some of which I simply had to let go...

However, yesterday and today are an entirely different matter! I woke up yesterday with a touch of the flu which by last night was making me miserable. (And I never get sick!) Something about the flu and aching and all that just makes one not want to do anything, which is frustrating! (And tonight I have a leadership seminar to teach - gee, that will be fun. The only way I could avoid it is death - my own!)

So, when you guys take time off, is it usually by choice or are you forced? Do you willingly take time away from the computer and writing and all that or does it take a major catastrophe to slow you down?

10 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

I take small breaks during the day, but don't take a whole day off. Although...my husband and I are planning a vacation next month. I know I'll be taking my laptop, though, so we'll see.

Anonymous said...

I try and take one day off a week. Well I post a blog every day but I mean from writing in my manuscripts. Helps rejuvenate my desire to write and I often get inspirations from doing "something else."

Donna McDine said...

Hi...hope you are feeling much better. Until recently I stayed glued to the computer. But I finally had a Duh moment and realized I am more productive if I take care of myself by going for a walk or just sitting with a magazine with a hot cup of tea for 20 minutes.

Warm regards,
Donna
www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com

Nancy J. Parra said...

Feel better- there is some nasty flu bug going around, do take care of yourself.

I take weekends off-from writing not blogging. So I can spend time with my family.

karen said...

all i know is, i never ever work on my birthday! that is one day a year (sometimes i stretch it out to a week or a long weekend) when i definitely choose not to work.

Mike Douglas said...

Hey Diane, I'm so sorry you've been under the weather. I hope your flu (or flu-like symptoms) starts clearing up soon.

I'm not a real writer like you and your followers here - while I consider my job as a buyer to be a good one, it's not the love of my life either, and it can get extremely stressful. So, the time I take off is most definitely not forced. Truth be told, I can't wait to get away from the office be it for a vacation or just for the weekend. I tend to slow down a lot when left to my own devices, doing things (or doing not much of anything at all) on my own schedule.

By the way, happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had a good one.

Anonymous said...

First, Happy Birthday! Second, sorry you've been sicks.

Me, I never take a day off. I know that's bad - but with two preschoolers I have to work when I can, which is pretty much a couple hours daily.

Anonymous said...

I say "no" a lot to people so that I rarely feel as if my life is over-drive. I get plenty of sleep and have a low-stress life. I have a daughter...so like Beth I don't take time off (much) from the role of mother. But I intentionally take days off...and they are not always on the weekend. I play tennis twice a week during the day. Taking a day off, though, doesn't mean going somewhere for me, necessarily. I'm happy to stay at home and read or watch movies or write.

Yes...sorry you are sick. In March, I am going away for the first time in YEARS completely alone.

Oh well...been interesting to see what others do. And yes, sorry you are not feeling well today!

Allyn

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thank you everyone! I hope to feel much better by this evening, as I am not going anywhere for a couple days...

Prill Boyle said...

Like Marvin, I try to take one day a week off. I also get away at least once a year to someplace that doesn't have internet access--or at least where it isn't easy to check e-mail, etc. I need quiet in my life to create.